Check out my guide to the best hostels in Bucharest, Romania. Bucharest has exactly 20 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the 6 Best Hostels in Bucharest.
General Info on Hostels in Bucharest
Here are a few things you should consider before booking a hostel in Bucharest:
- Price - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €6 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €8 to €15 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 60% higher.
- Location - Bucharest is a large city so it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. (All hostels listed below are in central locations.)
- Amenities/Services - Every hostel in Bucharest offers free Wi-Fi and a few hostels include breakfast in the price, but if you want more specific services be sure to do your research to find the hostel that best meets your needs.
- Staff - Most hostels in Bucharest have excellent staff. They are normally very friendly and will give you some great tips on restaurants, bars and clubs etc. But my advice is to read reviews to make sure the hostel you choose has friendly and helpful staff because rude or unhelpful staff could ruin your hostel experience.
The Best Hostels in Bucharest
Here’s my comprehensive guide to the 6 best hostels in Bucharest:
1. Podstel Bucharest
Podstel Bucharest is the best hostel in Bucharest. It is only a 10-minute walk to Unirii Square, 15 minutes to the Old Town and the infamous Palace of Parliament. This is a chilled hostel with hammocks, a summer bar, and an Arabic tent.
They offer 6 and 8-bed mixed dorm rooms. If you stay at Podstel Bucharest, you will have the use of their fully equipped kitchen (with a cooker, microwave, fridge, utensils, herbs & condiments), musical instruments, many card/board games and you will get the opportunity to organize your own event or workshop.
- Their "secret garden"
- Their fully equipped self-catering kitchen
Dorms from €7.50
2. Podstel Umbrella
Podstel Umbrella is the sister hostel of Podstel Bucharest, but both hostels are unique. Podstel Umbrella is set in a charming building dating back to the 1920s located in the heart of Bucharest’s most hip neighborhood, Piata Romana. But it's still only a 20-minute walk to the center.
They offer 4 and 8-bed dorm rooms starting at only €7.50 per night. Each dorm bed comes with it's reading lamp.
- It's super clean
- Friendly and informative staff
Dorms from €7.50
3. The Midland Hostel
The Midland Hostel is a small hostel with only 24 beds. They are located bang in the center of Bucharest, within walking distance of all the top sites.
They offer 4, 8, and 12-bed dorms. We provide free Wi-Fi, guest computers, board games, free towels, free linens, and free tea and coffee.
- Their super cool main common area
Dorms from €8.00
4. The Cozyness Hostel
Cozyness Hostel is as it says in the name a cozy small hostel situated in a central location, only a 10-minute walk to the center. Their mission is to make your stay in Bucharest a memorable one.
They offer 4 and 6-bed mixed dorm rooms. They also offer cheap bike rentals and low-cost laundry services are available.
- Good pool table for you to enjoy free of charge.
Dorms from €7.40
5. First Hostel
First Hostel is conveniently located in the Unirii neighborhood with easy access to the best Bucharest has to offer. It's only a 5-minute walk to Unirii Metro Station (Piata Unirii), a 7-minute walk to the Old Town, and a 10-minute walk to the Palace of Parliament.
First Hostel has 4, 6, and 8-bed mixed dorm rooms. Every bed has its own nightstand/shelf, power point, USB charger, and reading light.
- Beautifully designed dorm rooms
Dorms from €8.10
6. Sleep Inn Hostel
Sleep Inn Hostel is situated right in the middle of Bucharest. The hostel is a 5-minute walk to Old Town where you will find all of Bucharest's best-known tourist attractions.
The Hostel has 4 and 8-bed mixed dorms. The hostel is Air Conditioned and other general services include Luggage Storage, the option of a late check-out, and free Wifi.
- Superb Wifi
Dorms from €7.40
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in Bucharest
I hope this list of the best hostels in Bucharest helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Bucharest. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Bucharest is good but there are still some bad hostels. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad or mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Bucharest.
More on Hostels
- How do hostels work (and General Hostel FAQ & Tips)
- 10 Different Types Of Hostels
- Best Hostel Chains in Europe