Check out our guide to the best hostels in Brussels, Belgium. Brussels has only 16 hostels but we have narrowed this down to the best four Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when traveling to Brussels on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Brussels Hostels
Here are some things that you might want to consider before booking a hostel in Brussels.
- Price - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €15 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €20 to €30 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
- Location - Brussels is a medium-sized city but it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. (All hostels listed below are in central locations.)
- Check-out time - Check-out time for most hostels in Brussels is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check-out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Brussels offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double-checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Brussels include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Brussels have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
The 4 Best Hostels in Brussels
Here’s our list of the best hostels in Brussels which includes a detailed description of each hostel in Brussels.
1. MEININGER Brussels City Center
MEININGER Brussels City Center is by far most popular and the best hostel in Brussels. It's been voted the most popular Hostel in Brussels at the Hoscars' Awards every year since 2015. As it says in the name, the hostel is located in the centre of Brussels, just 15 minutes away from the famous Grand Place.
Their superbly designed dorm rooms are spacious and each (bunk) bed comes with its own reading lamp and power-point. A hearty breakfast (a small fee) is served every morning or you can take advantage of their fully equipped kitchen.
- Cooly designed rooms
Dorms from €22.00
2. Sleep Well Youth Hostel
Sleep Well is an eco-friendly Hostel situated in a central location and well within walking of most of Brussels sites. If you are arriving in Brussels by train, Sleep Well is ideal as it's only a 10-minute walk from Brussel-Noord/Bruxelles-Nord (Brussels-North) station.
The dorms are fresh and clean. They come with an ensuite toilet, free storage lockers, free linen and you also get a free breakfast every morning. It seems a little pricey but you need to factor in the price of breakfast.
- Free breakfast
Dorms from €31.00
3. Generation Europe Youth Hostel
The Generation Europe Youth Hostel is situated near the Canal of Brussels just a 15-minute walk to the Grand Place. They provide free WiFi, free parking, and complimentary organic and local buffet breakfast is served daily.
They offer mixed, male-only and female-only dorm rooms. They have an on-site bar where you can sample some local Belgian beers. You can also prepare your own meals in their fully equipped guest kitchen.
- Complimentary organic and local buffet breakfast
- Outdoor garden
Dorms from €25.00
4. Brussels 2GO4 Quality Hostel Grand Place
Brussels G2O4 Quality Hostel City Centre is located bang in the heart of the action very close (10-minute walk) to Brussels-Noord and Brussels Midi (Eurostar) train stations. The hostel comes with many free extras including free breakfast, free Wifi and a free walking tour.
Their cosy bunks come with fresh free linen and some of their premium dorms have en-suite bathrooms for extra privacy. They have mixed and female-only dorms which are ideal for the solo female traveller.
- Free breakfast
- Free walking tour
Dorms from €24.15
The Best of the Rest
Final Thoughts on the Best Hostels in Brussels
I hope this list of the best hostels in Brussels helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Brussels. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Brussels is excellent but there are still some mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Brussels.
THANKS FOR READING!
I'm Mike McGuinness, the guy behind the scenes of Hostel Vagabond. I've stayed in literally hundreds of hostels across Europe and the world. I created Hostel Vagabond so that I could share those experiences with you.